PERFORMANCE ARTISTS – CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Deadline: To be announced
As part of the regular programming, artist-run centre CIRCA art actuel is now accepting project proposals from emerging and established artists whose art practice is concerned with performance. The gallery is housed in the historical Belgo Building in downtown Montreal, where several other galleries are located. We schedule our performances on Saturday afternoons when there are many visitors. The performance dates are the following: January 13, March 17, May 5, October 20 and December 15.
CIRCA art actuel is an artist-run centre in which the mandate is to present projects that investigate spatial concerns in the visual arts. The theme of space can be approached from a social, personal, geographic, cultural, political or environmental perspective and be concerned with notions of the real, fictional or virtual. In performance practices, these may be expressed in various ways, for example, through manoeuvres, tableau vivant, body art and relational art.
Individual or a collective of performance artists will have galleries I and II at their disposal and these spaces will be empty. The proposed performance should be a new work and must not have been shown within the greater Montreal region. A text presenting the artist’s performance will be printed in the form of a brochure.
The Performance Committee will select the successful applicants. As an artist-run centre, our Performance Committee is composed of active gallery members, administrative members, the director and an invited external member. CIRCA’s mandate is to ensure diversity in its programming. The proposed project’s originality and its pertinence and critical approach to the thematic of space are our main criteria.
– The artist will be paid a $600 honorarium.
– The artist will have access to the two empty galleries two days, Thursday and Friday, prior to the performance. The performance will take place on Saturday and on Sunday at the latest, the galleries must be empty and clean.
– Members or gallery personnel can offer basic technical support.
– The performance dates are the following:
- January 13, 2018
- March 17, 2018
- May 5, 2018
- October 20, 2018
- December 15, 2018
The submission must be in one single PDF file and include the following:
- An up-to-date CV.
- An artist statement, 300 words maximum.
- A project description, 300 words maximum, with duration of the performance.
- 15 images of recent work with a short description of the projects.
- Hyperlinks to videos of your performances on Vimeo or YouTube.
- Technical requirements, if needed.
The maximum size for all files is 10 Mb.
The deadline is April 14, 2017
We will send an email confirming the reception of your project two weeks after the deadline.
Please note that POPOP Gallery is excluded from this call.
Width : 210,5″
Lenght : 60 ft
Ceiling : 10 ft
Width : 218″
Lenght : 259″
Ceiling : 10 ft